Sugah's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sugah's Place

Providing quality Sims 2 downloads, social discussions, group projects, original challenges & forum games in a friendly, fun atmosphere.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Sugah's Place is proud to be one of the last remaining Sims sites devoted entirely to Sims 2. The Ladies of SP welcome you and thank you for being here with us. * See what's NEW by clicking on THIS LINK ...We try to update regularly, so check back often! Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest and 'Tweet' yourself to a little Sugah!! ... Stop by, introduce yourself, play some forum games and schmooze a bit. We're happy to have you.

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LadyAngel

LadyAngel

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Empty
PostSubject: Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp   Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 1:02 pm

I've made the pictures a bit larger this time so you can see the details more clearly. If you need me to resize them, let me know!

If you've ever wondered how to re-colour Sims 2 objects this one is for you. This is a simple tutorial to show you how to re-colour a sofa...here we go:

What You Will Need:

• SimPE
  • CEP - Required for re-colouring Maxis objects
  • Legacy Nvidia DDS Utilities - Download and install them, just like any Windows program, then start SimPE, select the menu 'Extra', 'Preferences' and fill in the field 'Nvidia DDS Tools' with the exact installation path (you can use the "Browse" button to find the folder where the DDS Utilities are installed).

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp D17h44m55s1Preferences

First, make a folder somewhere you can easily find it. I always use my desktop. Call the folder 'Sofa Recolour' or something that can identify it.

Download SimPE, then open it up.

Click 'Object Workshop' at the top of the window:

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Obwork

Click 'Start':

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_16h29m37s_008_

Select 'Seating', then 'Sofas':

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_16h31m52s_009_SimPe-

Select the 'Coming Up Roses' Loveseat, then click 'Next':

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_16h34m29s_010_SimPe-

Make sure 'Recolor' is selected, then click 'Start':

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_16h36m59s_011_SimPe-

Save your file to the folder you created earlier. Call it whatever you like:

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_16h40m40s_012_SaveAs

Select the fabric you want to re-colour, then click 'OK':

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_16h44m56s_013_SubsetSelection

In the Resource Tree, select 'Texture Image', then click 'Plugin View' at the bottom of the window:

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_16h47m07s_014_SimPe-C--Users-Angela-Desktop-sofarecolour-sofa-recolour-package

Click the 'Export' button and save the image to the same folder you created at the start:

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_16h50m13s_015_SimPe-C--Users-Angela-Desktop-sofarecolour-sofa-recolour-package

Launch Gimp and open up the image you just exported:

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_16h54m10s_016_sofaquaintfabric-pinkflowers--angeljs-31-10-2011-102db--txtr-1024x1024-png-2-0-RGB-1layer-1024x1024-GIMP

The simplest way to re-colour any item is to use the 'Hue-Saturation' tool:

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_16h56m21s_018_

Use the sliders to adjust the colour until you are happy, then click 'File/Save' to overwrite the image.

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_17h03m08s_019_-sofaquaintfabric-pinkflowers--angeljs-31-10-2011-102db--txtr-1024x1024-png-2-0-RGB-1layer-1024x1024-GIMP

Go back to SimPE and right-click on the texture image and select 'Build DXT':

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_17h07m25s_020_

Click 'Open Image' to select the overwritten one you edited. Make sure 'DTX1Format' is selected, and 'Sharpen' is set to 'None', then click 'Done', then 'Commit':

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Snap_20111031_17h14m56s_022_SimPe-C--Users-Angela-Desktop-sofarecolour-sofa-recolour-package-1

You may need to wait a while for the new colour to show up.

Click 'File/Save As...' and save to your Sims 2 downloads folder, giving it a name you can identify later.
Go ahead and fire up your game to check your new re-colour:

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Lilac

Once you are happy, why don't you upload your new re-colours for others to enjoy! ;)

This tutorial has covered basic re-colouring only, for newbies.
You can also use different textures (patterns), but we'll cover that in a different tutorial. I hope you found this easy to follow. All feedback is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp   Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp EmptyThu May 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Another wonderful, very well done, comprehensive recoloring tutorial, Angela!
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Bravo!!!

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp 846508 Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp 461171
Back to top Go down
https://sugahsplace.forumotion.net
LadyAngel

LadyAngel

PostSubject: Re: Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp   Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp EmptyFri May 03, 2013 12:52 am

You're very welcome, I hope it helps someone I love you
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp   Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp EmptySat May 04, 2013 1:12 pm

OH, I have NO DOUBT it will, Lady A!
Thank you for taking the time and effort to share this with our SP members.
I truly appreciate it.

ThankUforSharing
Back to top Go down
twerplina

twerplina

PostSubject: Re: Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp   Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp EmptySat May 04, 2013 5:37 pm

I missed this tutorial. Thank you again! I hope to get a chance to try it out soon. And I look forward to the one for using different textures.
Back to top Go down
Nonni

Nonni

PostSubject: Re: Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp   Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp EmptySun May 05, 2013 8:07 am

Lady Angel, this is an EXCELLENT Tutorial. It has made clear some things I struggled with. Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp 28795
Back to top Go down
http://www.affinitysims.com/forum/
LadyAngel

LadyAngel

PostSubject: Re: Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp   Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp EmptySun May 05, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks all, I'm so pleased this is useful.

Just a word on the texturing, you can select the whole image or parts of it, and fill them with a seamless texture pattern. You can use layers if you want to add shadows, creases etc.
It's a wide learning curve.
You can find a mad list of seamless textures here.
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp   Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp EmptySun May 05, 2013 11:59 am

Quote :
You can find a mad list of seamless textures here.

Thank you for providing that link for us, Angela. Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp 21650
Back to top Go down
LadyAngel

LadyAngel

PostSubject: Re: Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp   Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:12 am

No problem. It's really difficult to find seamless textures that are not watermarked, but Google Images is a good place to start. Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp 12612
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp   Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp Empty

Back to top Go down

Basic Furniture Recolouring Using SimPE & Gimp
Page 1 of 1