Officially it's not been resolved. Java and Adobe Flash are updated. Thanks for the link, Tim. Unfortunately that was one of the first links I have found. I have pretty much exhausted all my ideas. I have tried to disable my Firewall and Antivirus, Clearing my DNS cache, Clearing Origin's cache, resetting both my modem and network router.
However I did find a promising lead late last night. I found a post on my ISP's forum from about the time I started I having trouble(which is Hughesnet for those that are curious). Basically EA made changes to Origin's security in the last month to month in a half. This change seems to have caused Origin to not be able to connect to the net with Hughesnet services. My ISP says they are currently looking into fixing the problem.