Sugah's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sugah's Place

Providing quality Sims 2 downloads, social discussions, group projects, original challenges & forum games in a friendly, fun atmosphere.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Sugah's Place is proud to be one of the last remaining Sims sites devoted entirely to Sims 2. The Ladies of SP welcome you and thank you for being here with us. * See what's NEW by clicking on THIS LINK ...We try to update regularly, so check back often! Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest and 'Tweet' yourself to a little Sugah!! ... Stop by, introduce yourself, play some forum games and schmooze a bit. We're happy to have you.

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LadyAngel

LadyAngel

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image Empty
PostSubject: Recolouring Using A Seamless Image   Recolouring Using A Seamless Image EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:33 am

What You Will Need:

• SimPE
  • CEP - Required for re-colouring Maxis objects
  • Legacy Nvidia DDS Utilities - Download and install them, just like any Windows program, then start SimPE, select the menu 'Extra', 'Preferences' and fill in the field 'Nvidia DDS Tools' with the exact installation path (you can use the "Browse" button to find the folder where the DDS Utilities are installed).
  • Gimp - Free image editor
  • A seamless pattern. Find a list of sites here.

You can click on any image to show it fullsize at ImageShack.

First of all, open up SimPE and the Object Workshop. Click 'Open' to open up a cc file, or 'Start' to open up a Maxi's file. For this tutorial, I'll be re-colouring a Maxi's sofa:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image JxErgm

(Please note that the 'Object Workshop' may be in a different place, depending on how you have setup the layout of SimPE.)

Select 'Seating/Sofas/Lap of Luxury Sofa':

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image NoupvN

Click 'Next':

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image U1vxiC

Select 'Recolor', then 'Start':

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image R4fkQK

Make a new folder on your desktop, or somewhere easy to find. Inside that folder, save the file as something easily identifiable, for others and yourself:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image UYwzQN

Select any fabric from the top part of the window and click 'OK':

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image ZUT4gP

Export the image to the same folder you just created:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image YmpfSO

Start up Gimp and open up the image you exported:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image ZnwY8q

Open up your seamless image. I usually scale them to a width of around 256 or 128, but it can be any size you want, depending on the look you are going for:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image PsaxW8

Select the image:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image 3BgFnv

Copy the image to your clipboard:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image JW4AbM

Using the rectangular select tool, select the parts of the image you want to fill with your pattern:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image WVJn0T

Select the pattern fill tool:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image DMTFUA

The clipboard selection is at the top-right of the pattern box:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image NqYyBd

Click the selected part of the image to fill it, and repeat the process for each part of the image you want to recolour with the pattern. You can also recolour the wood parts the same way. Then select the 'File' and overwrite option to save the new image:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image ZJ1W0A

Go back to SimPE, and right-click on the texture image. Select 'Build DXT':

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image 5pDqyR

If that option doesn't show, you need to check your DDS installation as you can find at the top of this tutorial. Open the image you saved, and click 'Build':

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image Ays0WH

Click 'Commit' then 'OK':

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image QpfRhM

Save the file, then save it to your Sims 2 downloads folder:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image F2KRWJ

Now fire up your game to see what it looks like:

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image VmqkD0

Simple, wasn't it? :) Once you get used to the process, you can knock out dozens of re-colours without breaking a sweat! Try it, you won't regret it!

Just a word about adding shadows - if you are familiar with using layers in your image editor, you could add a new one to add some shading, creases and shadows to make your re-colour a little more realistic.
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: Recolouring Using A Seamless Image   Recolouring Using A Seamless Image EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 11:07 am

wow! 

This tutorial makes recoloring a TS2 object so easy, Angela!
Great, simple to understand instructions, complete with excellent images for those of us who are visual learners.
I am excited to find a list of seamless pattern sites here, too!  Recolouring Using A Seamless Image 262201 

BTW, I wish I were more experienced with layers & shadows using PSP7.
You are right. It would add a more realistic appeal to my recolors.  Recolouring Using A Seamless Image 538873 

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recoloring tutorial with us at SP.  Recolouring Using A Seamless Image 28795 

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image 846508  Recolouring Using A Seamless Image 461171
Back to top Go down
https://sugahsplace.forumotion.net
LadyAngel

LadyAngel

PostSubject: Re: Recolouring Using A Seamless Image   Recolouring Using A Seamless Image EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 12:30 pm

Thank you so much! I found a good tutorial at MTS about adding shadows and highlights:
http://modthesims.info/t/140780
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: Recolouring Using A Seamless Image   Recolouring Using A Seamless Image EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 12:54 pm

That tutorial makes shadowing look so easy, doesn't it?
The instructions are for doing so using Photoshop and Faylen provides a link for adding shadows with Gimp.
I can't imagine it being too hard to figure out using PSP7?
I will do some research on it.

Thank you, Angela!  Recolouring Using A Seamless Image 21650
Back to top Go down
https://sugahsplace.forumotion.net
LadyAngel

LadyAngel

PostSubject: Re: Recolouring Using A Seamless Image   Recolouring Using A Seamless Image EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 3:22 am

Well I've just learned how to add a drop-shadow using Gimp, though I've never tried this type of shading, but it would make clothing and furniture look so much more realistic. Some people just have that artistic gift...I'm sure mine would look fake! lol.

I've seen it done on bedding and cushions etc., and it makes a big difference.
Back to top Go down
twerplina

twerplina

PostSubject: Re: Recolouring Using A Seamless Image   Recolouring Using A Seamless Image EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 9:29 am

I can't wait to try this out. I 'use' gimp, meaning it's my image editor but I don't really know how to use it that well. So tutorials that use gimp are wonderful.  Recolouring Using A Seamless Image 243713 
Back to top Go down
LadyAngel

LadyAngel

PostSubject: Re: Recolouring Using A Seamless Image   Recolouring Using A Seamless Image EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 11:31 am

All the tutorials on my site use Gimp. This was before Photoshop brought out a free version of their software. Most of the the tutorials seemed to be for Photoshop or other paid programs, which is why I decided to create my own. Most people couldn't afford the software required at the time...my tutorials always use free software, even for meshing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recolouring Using A Seamless Image   Recolouring Using A Seamless Image Empty

Back to top Go down

Recolouring Using A Seamless Image
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sugah's Place :: Sugah's Community Square :: Tutorials & Helpful Hints-
Jump to: