Sugah's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sugah's Place

Providing quality Sims 2 downloads, social discussions, group projects, original challenges & forum games in a friendly, fun atmosphere.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Sugah's Place is proud to be one of the last remaining Sims sites devoted entirely to Sims 2. The Ladies of SP welcome you and thank you for being here with us. * See what's NEW by clicking on THIS LINK ...We try to update regularly, so check back often! Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest and 'Tweet' yourself to a little Sugah!! ... Stop by, introduce yourself, play some forum games and schmooze a bit. We're happy to have you.

XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???

Go down 
+5
Sugah
deekitty31
mac
Aaroneous
Cher64
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mac

mac

XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 7:18 pm

twerplina wrote:
After using MS Office for years, I tried Open Office. I liked it, but eventually had to switch back to MS Office for compatibility reasons

Actually, you might check out Open Office again. If you use "Save As", it does allow saving (and probably loading) in many of the standard MS Office formats.
Back to top Go down
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Aaron, thank you for so quickly answering all my computer questions. I seem to have become stupider about it all as I've gotten older.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 598258 

Mac, I was thinking there was a way to convert Open Office files to MS files and back. I never have a reason to do it, though, so I wasn't completely sure. Since my computer's still in the shop, I couldn't check. I go way back to the days of Word Perfect. We used it in the law office where I used to work, and I loved it. I hated MS Word, but have since learned to use and like Open Office.
Back to top Go down
twerplina

twerplina

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Mac, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to see if it's compatible with Mac MS Office. Of course, I've found that Windows and Mac Office arent' always compatible, so maybe the question is moot.

Cher64, I loved Wordperfect. Wow, I haven't thought of that program in years, lol.
Back to top Go down
mac

mac

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 8:43 pm

I don't see either WordPerfect or Mac MS Office listed in the formats available in Open Office. For that matter, MS Word 2010 isn't listed either.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 729422
Back to top Go down
SimEm

SimEm

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Aaroneous wrote:
But anything above 4 GB of ram TS2 can't see it. If Your computer has more then 4 GB of ram, TS2 will think it's just 4 GB. It's only like that because TS2 was made for 32 bit versions of Windows and 32 bit versions of Windows are limited to 4 GB.

That's good to know. I have the 32 bit version and 4 GB, so it sounds like in that respect I'm just right for TS2.

Cher64 wrote:
I have the occasional odd graphic thing happen in the game, probably the same as SimEm, but nothing that lasts very long.

What are your graphic glitches like, Cher. Sometimes my terrain will go black or take on some random texture. Using zooming, switching to build mode, or changing the neighborhood view from medium to large will make it go back to normal. Sometimes my sims take on weird textures. Sometimes I get those kinds of errors on the sims themselves, like when a sim ages up or if I change their appearance in the mirror, choosing certain hairs will turn their faces black, but clicking on the full face makeup will get them to go back to normal. Today I finally found and installed a driver that seemed to be missing or needed updating. Next time I play I'll see if that made any difference for me.

The updates to MS Office always catch me by surprise when I log in to one of the computers at work, open a file and see everything has changed.

Oh, that paper clip helper . . .  laughin I'd forgotten about that. I don't believe I've seen the "ribbon" yet.
Back to top Go down
http://emsimstories.atspace.com
Caleb_71

Caleb_71

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 6:19 am

For the people thinking they need to update their Computer, here is my 2 cents worth:

You can keep the one you have with Win XP, just disconnect it from the internet and keep playing. Grab a bottom of the range PC to surf the web with either Win 7 64bit or a Linux Operating System.

If you are going to update for Sims 2, I would suggest the fastest dual core CPU you can get over 3Ghz, 8Gb of RAM, an SSD Hard Disk, a decent Graphics Card (say a GTX-750 or GTX-750Ti) and Win 7 64bit. I run a system like that and with ~20GB of package files, I am playing the game in less than 5 minutes from launch.

I just built a new system:

Intel i3 4340 (3.6Ghz)
12Gb of RAM (I had a 4GB kit and an 8Gb kit sitting here, although all up I have 84Gb of DDR3 RAM)
120Gb SSD (OS HDD)
240Gb SSD (games HDD)
1Tb data HDD
Nvidia 660Ti
I installed Win 8 and shortly will install Sims 2.

Do I have many computers? Yep sure do.

Edit: Running Win 7 64bit with 8Gb of RAM, Sims 2 is using between 1 to 1.5Gb of RAM when loaded. SO throwing heeps of RAM at it is a waste of money, better off buying a better Graphics Card. Oh, the other thing is Sims 2 was designed to run on a single core back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 9:35 am

SimEm, I will get a weird section of graphics that don't match on the lot loading screen, and sometimes the thumbnail of a sim, though not on the sim itself, will have a section that's wrong. When the sim's thumbnail is wrong, it shows wrong for every sim who knows that sim. It usually looks like lines of the wrong colors radiating off a spot. It will also happen on a lot when I'm playing, but that's pretty rare. When it happens on a lot, I do the same things you do to make it go away. If it's on the thumbnail or lot loading screen, it's gone the next time I play.

Caleb, I've been thinking about upgrading my computer for over a year. Thanks for the information on what to look for. Sometimes I get so frustrated when it seems like I'm getting a BSOD too often, then it will be months before I have another problem. TS2 will go through phases where it shuts itself down frequently, then it stops. Just when my husband, Randy, has convinced me to go ahead and spend the money, things run smoothly for a while and I decide to wait.

I built my current system specifically to run TS2 well. It was pretty top of the line in its day. In fact, every time I've upgraded or rebuilt a system, it's been for a game. Nothing else I do on a computer requires that much fire power. First it was the Diablo games, then Sims 2. I'm just not sure I'm up to handling the frustration of it again. Things never go as smoothly as I think they should, and for some reason, I always run into problems installing the OS. I used to see it as a challenge, but lately I have less tolerance for things going wrong.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 971462 laughin
Back to top Go down
Caleb_71

Caleb_71

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 am

Cher64 wrote:
SimEm, I will get a weird section of graphics that don't match on the lot loading screen, and sometimes the thumbnail of a sim, though not on the sim itself, will have a section that's wrong. When the sim's thumbnail is wrong, it shows wrong for every sim who knows that sim. It usually looks like lines of the wrong colors radiating off a spot. It will also happen on a lot when I'm playing, but that's pretty rare. When it happens on a lot, I do the same things you do to make it go away. If it's on the thumbnail or lot loading screen, it's gone the next time I play.

Do you have those problems in hot weather and do you clean the dust out often?

When was the last time you update your Graphics Card Drivers?

Cher64 wrote:
Caleb, I've been thinking about upgrading my computer for over a year. Thanks for the information on what to look for. Sometimes I get so frustrated when it seems like I'm getting a BSOD too often, then it will be months before I have another problem. TS2 will go through phases where it shuts itself down frequently, then it stops. Just when my husband, Randy, has convinced me to go ahead and spend the money, things run smoothly for a while and I decide to wait.

No problem.

Cher64 wrote:
I built my current system specifically to run TS2 well. It was pretty top of the line in its day. In fact, every time I've upgraded or rebuilt a system, it's been for a game. Nothing else I do on a computer requires that much fire power. First it was the Diablo games, then Sims 2. I'm just not sure I'm up to handling the frustration of it again. Things never go as smoothly as I think they should, and for some reason, I always run into problems installing the OS. I used to see it as a challenge, but lately I have less tolerance for things going wrong.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 971462 laughin

Win 7 has most drivers, but you need to install the Motherboard's specific drivers and the latest Graphics Card Drivers.
Back to top Go down
twerplina

twerplina

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 11:23 am

Caleb, thanks very much for that additional info. Since I need a laptop, I've been thinking of getting one with Windows 7 and using that for most things and just disconnecting my PC from the Internet and turn it back into my Sims PC. I did that initially when I first built it, but then my other system died and this one became the main system.

But then I read about the systems that you and others describe for playing TS2 and I think 'I want that!'.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 598258 
Back to top Go down
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 10:14 pm

twerplina wrote:
But then I read about the systems that you and others describe for playing TS2 and I think 'I want that!'.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 598258 

I feel the same way!

I don't have my computer back because they said they don't quite have the problem figured out. The guy did say my computer would run Windows 7 if I added more RAM, but it wouldn't run well. In his opinion, the processor is just on the edge of being adequate. Maybe I'll be forced to get one of those fabulous systems.  laughin 

I'll talk to him more Monday. Randy thinks he could still use my computer for piddling around on the internet. Since that's all he does with a computer, maybe it would be enough for that. Whenever I upgrade my computer or get a new, Randy gets my old stuff. If mine will barely handle Windows 7, his definitely won't.

Caleb, I do keep my drivers updated. My system had overheated once, possibly more times, a couple of years ago. I pulled the tower out of its cubby hole and it still seemed very hot. Now I play with the side open, which keeps it cool, but also lets it accumulate dust very quickly. I'm sure that doesn't help anything. Since I'm collecting information about upgrading, do you have a particular motherboard you prefer? Are you picky about the brand name(s) of RAM?
Back to top Go down
Caleb_71

Caleb_71

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 11:44 pm

Cher64 wrote:
Caleb, I do keep my drivers updated. My system had overheated once, possibly more times, a couple of years ago. I pulled the tower out of its cubby hole and it still seemed very hot. Now I play with the side open, which keeps it cool, but also lets it accumulate dust very quickly. I'm sure that doesn't help anything. Since I'm collecting information about upgrading, do you have a particular motherboard you prefer? Are you picky about the brand name(s) of RAM?

I prefer to run Asus or Gigabyte motherboards (mobos) with 4 RAM slots, at the moment the B85 chipset mobos are the go. With the system I just built, I used an Asus B85M-G, I also never run the stock heatsink, as they are only just adequate, an aftermarket one is always used.

With RAM I prefer Patriot.

The big issue when building a computer is, never skimp on the Power Supply, always use a good brand name like Seasonic, Corsair or Silverstone.
Back to top Go down
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks. I think I'll do a little research this weekend and see if I can come up with an affordable system.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 266736 
Back to top Go down
Caleb_71

Caleb_71

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 10:06 am

Cher64 wrote:
Thanks. I think I'll do a little research this weekend and see if I can come up with an affordable system.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 266736 

Post here or PM me and I will give you some input.

To give you an idea, prices from Newegg:

Intel Core i3-4130 Haswell 3.4GHz

$124.99

ASUS B85M-G LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

$79.69

2x Patriot Signature 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model PSD34G133381

$87.98  $59.98 after $28.00 rebate card

EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

$154.99

SeaSonic SSP-450RT 450W ATX12V 80 PLUS GOLD

$64.99

IN WIN Dragon Slayer Black Case - A case I own and like.

$84.99

SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

$79.99

TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

$64.99

LITE-ON DVD Burner

$19.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit (Slim Envelope) - OEM

$139.99

Total = $874.59 Plus shipping

You can drop down to the Following

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 750 1GB

$119.99

Intel Pentium G3420 Haswell 3.2GHz

$79.99
Back to top Go down
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 3:22 pm

When I search for the SSD at Newegg, the Sandisk that it shows me is for notebooks. I'll be the first to admit that, every time I do a seach, it comes up with different results, so it could just be me. I did find a Samsung for $99. However, I'm thinking of really cheaping out and not installing one at all. I've never had one, so I wouldn't know what I'm missing, right?

It's also cheaper to go with Windows 7 Home Premium. Is there something about the Professional version that is helpful enough to make it worth more? Same question about the case. I found a cheaper one that I think is still supposed to be a good gaming case. It only has two fans, but I have at least one, possibly two, fans I should be able to scavenge from my current system. I may have changed another thing or two, based on price.

I put this system together. With rebates, it will end up costing $733.61. There are also a couple of promo codes, if I can use more than one, that will save me another $15-20.

Am I cheaping out on something I shouldn't be, something that will make a big difference? I want to upgrade enough that I won't need to do it again for several years at least. I am willing to pay more for a specific part if it will make a difference, but want to save what I can.
Back to top Go down
Caleb_71

Caleb_71

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 4:28 pm

SSD's are 2.5 inch notebook size, where as normal desktop drives are 3.5 inch. An adapter is needed to fit an SSD into a 3.5 drive bay and you will need an adapter if you don't get the Dragon slayer.

SSD's are what makes loading programs so much quicker, but only load your Operating System to it and everything else goes on the second hard drive.

The case is up to you, the Dragon slayer comes with all fans fitted and also has an 1 SSD bay so you don't need an adapter.

For the difference between Home and Pro is that Pro has a few more features that are handy.

I also didn't mention an aftermarket cooler, but I will add that shortly.

Aftermarket coolers:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $29.99
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO $34.99
Back to top Go down
mac

mac

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Microsoft really wants to wean users off a really good OS and onto a turkey!  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 46579 

Check this out  affraid
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 2:47 pm

wow! 

This is a LOT of great feedback on a very pertinent, current subject.
Thanks to ALL who have shared such good information in this thread.

I ended up buying a new computer with Window 7 because my previous desktop has been out of commission since last summer.
So, I was in need of purchasing one regardless of Windows XP no longer being supported.
It just sped the decision making process up for me.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 422794 

What was shared here is most helpful & informative and again, I appreciate everyone's comments.

ThanksforSharing

OH! Mac & Aaron, Staples was having a sale on Premier Set Up for new computers, so I paid for it and the geek squad will be here on Monday.
They will be transferring all of my important data, deleting/cleaning up bloatware, hooking everything up, installing any software programs I may want, making sure I'm online and all is running well, plus giving me a Windows 7 tutorial, etc., etc.

They will also check out my Nvidia graphics card compatibility and install that if it is all good, too.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 922586
Back to top Go down
https://sugahsplace.forumotion.net
twerplina

twerplina

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 4:36 pm

mac wrote:
Microsoft really wants to wean users off a really good OS and onto a turkey!  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 46579 

You'd have to pay me more than $100 to go to Windows 8, lol.
Back to top Go down
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 9:46 pm

twerplina wrote:
mac wrote:

laughin 

I finally got my computer back today. I think it's still quite a bit slower than it used to be, but it's not shutting the virus scanner down on its own, so that's an improvement.

Randy and I talked it over and decided I would go ahead and put together a new system for myself. It's sooner than I'd planned on doing it, but Microsoft sort of forced the issue. Caleb has been an amazing amount of help to me, and nearly all the parts are already on their way.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 367799 

I'll be a nervous wreck and crazy until I get it all put together and running. Randy was going to take my old computer, but if it stays this slow, he might not want it.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 598258 What he really wants is a tablet, so maybe we'll just look into that since we're spending money like we have it!

Sugah, I hope your news means we can look forward to more adventures of Feliciana! XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 226245 
Back to top Go down
Caleb_71

Caleb_71

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 9:14 am

Sugah wrote:

They will also check out my Nvidia graphics card compatibility and install that if it is all good, too.

If it is an 8800GT, it will work, no problem.

twerplina wrote:

I have it installed on two computers, once you get used to it, it is ok.
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 10:35 am

Russ wrote:
If it is an 8800GT, it will work, no problem.

Geez! It's been so long, I can't remember, Russ.
I still have the box and will check it out before the puter geeks get here.

XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 367799 

Back to top Go down
Aaroneous

Aaroneous

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 3:20 pm

Mac wrote:
Microsoft really wants to wean users off a really good OS and onto a turkey!
100$ For that piece of junk? No thanks.

Good luck with Your new computers Cher and Sugah.
Back to top Go down
http://simmanipulator.forumotion.com/
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks, Aaron. My parts have started arriving, so think good thoughts for me, if you would.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 598258 
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 9:44 am

Cher wrote:
Sugah, I hope your news means we can look forward to more adventures of Feliciana!

Cher, it's so funny you should mention my Italian "Happy Wanderer"!
I was just talking with Elle (Autumnelle) about her yesterday.
She and I are both having our new puters set up this week.
I was pondering whether I'd transfer most ALL of my Sims 2 folders over from the old computer or just the downloads one.
I really don't want to lose Feliciana or her little neighborhood, especially the tiny houses I started to build in there.
I truly like her and what I've accomplished in her hood so far.
I may end up having to start from scratch with my Happy Wanderer, if I opt only to transfer the downloads, though I'd rather not.  No 
Not sure yet!

Aaron wrote:
Good luck with Your new computers Cher and Sugah.

Thank you, Aaron.
I was originally scheduled to have my computer set up yesterday afternoon, but somehow, my appointment with the tech team was not showing up on their board.  XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 971462 
I have rescheduled for tomorrow morning. We shall see how it goes.

Wish me luck!!!
I am beyond ready to be up and runnin' with my new computer!

XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 WOOHOONA
Back to top Go down
SimEm

SimEm

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 5:26 pm

Why not transfer her neighborhood's folder too. It shouldn't be too large, especially if it's a new hood and then you don't have to start over again.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://emsimstories.atspace.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???   XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7??? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

XP No Longer Being Supported by SP ... Windows 7???
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next